Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu

Receiving Green Card under Section 13 (Diplomat)

118-21 queens blvd

Section 13 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) of Sept. 11, 1957 was created by Congress to allow individuals who entered the United States under diplomatic status to obtain a Green Card (permanent residence).

Eligibility Criteria

You may be eligible to receive a Green Card under Section 13 if you can establish that:

  • You entered the United States as an A-1, A-2, G-1, or G-2 nonimmigrant
  • You failed to maintain your A-1, A-2, G-1, or G-2 nonimmigrant status
  • Your duties were diplomatic or semi-diplomatic (not custodial, clerical, or of a menial nature)

There are compelling reasons why you or your immediate family member are unable to return to the country which accredited you as a diplomat and that your adjustment of status would be in the national interest

  • You are a person of good moral character
  • You are admissible to the United States for permanent residence
  • Your admission as a permanent resident would not be contrary to the national welfare, safety, or security of the United States

Application Process and Supporting Evidence for Form I-485

To apply for a Green Card (permanent residence) under Section 13 provisions, you need to file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.

Supporting Evidence for Form I-485

The following evidence should be submitted with Form I-485:

  • Two passport-style photos
  • Copy of birth certificate
  • Evidence that you were admitted as an A-1, A-2, G-1, or G-2 nonimmigrant
  • Form I-566, Interagency Record of Request
  • Form I-508, Waiver of Rights, Privileges, Exemptions, and Immunities
  • Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record
  • Applicable fees
  • Any affidavits or other evidence that you wish to submit
  • You will also be requested to submit a sworn statement at your interview

Work and Travel Authorization

When you have a pending Form I-485, it is possible for you to apply for authorization to work in the United States and to seek advance parole (advance permission to travel and be admitted to the United States upon your return). For further information, contact one of our experienced immigration lawyers in New York today at 718-407-0871 or online at https://www.prizant-law.com

Contributed by Svetlana Prizant, Esq., an Award Winning New York Immigration Lawyer

Call or visit Prizant Law at:

Prizant Law
118-21 Queens Blvd Suite 507
Forest Hills, NY 11375
(718) 407 0871

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

© 2020 - 2024 Prizant Law. All rights reserved.