Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu

What are my other immigration options when Temporary Protected Status (TPS) ends?

TPS Lawyer

Those who may be about to lose Temporary Protected Status (TPS) have many other immigration options:

  • If you were admitted or paroled into the United States before you received TPS, or while you had TPS, you may be eligible to adjust your status through a U.S. citizen spouse, adult son or daughter or parent (if you are a child). Under certain circumstances, you may be able to adjust status through a Lawful Permanent Resident Spouse or Parent, or a U.S. citizen sibling.
  • If you have been the victim of certain crimes in the United States and have suffered physically or emotionally because of it, and you have been cooperative with law enforcement, you may be eligible for a U Visa.
  • If you were or are in removal proceedings (immigration court), and your case was closed, you can go back to court and apply for any form of relief from removal for which you are eligible. This may include asylum, withholding of removal, cancellation of removal or others.
  • If you have never been in immigration court and have a fear of going back to your home country because of past persecution or a fear of future persecution, you may be eligible to apply for asylum and/or withholding of removal. Normally, you have to apply for asylum within one year of entering the U.S., but there are exceptions. Applying for asylum can also come with a new work permit when the TPS work permit is taken away. Asylum is complicated and if you do not do it correctly, or for the wrong reasons, you can end up getting deported and barred from all forms of immigration benefits and relief from removal.

Bottom line—you are not without hope and not without other immigration options. The time to consult with an immigration attorney is now, don’t wait until TPS is gone, because some of your immigration options may be gone with it. Call and schedule a consultation today!

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

© 2020 - 2024 Prizant Law. All rights reserved.