Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu

Your Relative Had Children After I-130 Approved – Can They Immigrate Too?

If you are a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (“green card” holder) who wants to bring a relative to the U.S. on a “family preference” visa, you don’t need to file a separate “I-130” visa petition for any children your relative has – you can just list the names of the children on the I-130 that you’re filing for your relative.

The child is a “derivative” — someone who derives his or her ability to immigrate from someone else, without the need to apply separately. After the I-130 is approved, each family member must apply for the actual U.S. entry visa separately, but at least the whole family can immigrate at the same time if they want to.

But what about children you couldn’t list on the I-130 because they weren’t born or otherwise added to the family yet?

Your relatives will likely be waiting for a visa for several years after the I-130 is approved, it is likely that they might have a child during this time. Any child born to your relative before your relative is admitted to the U.S. can get a visa along with the rest of the family, without another I-130 and without any extra wait. When it’s time for the family to apply for their visas at the U.S. embassy or consulate, your relative can apply on behalf of the child, showing proof of the birth and the I-130 approval.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Skip footer and go back to main navigation