Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu

How to File for a U-Visa in New York

Question: I was a victim of crime in NYC, how can I apply for a U-Visa?

Answer by NYC U Visa Attorney: To qualify for a U-Visa the following three standards must be met.

  1. You must be a victim of the following qualifying crime
    • Abduction
    • Abusive Sexual Contact
    • Blackmail
    • Domestic Violence
    • Extortion
    • False Imprisonment
    • Female Genital Mutilation
    • Felonious Assault
    • Fraud in Foreign Labor Contracting
    • Hostage
    • Incest
    • Involuntary Servitude
    • Kidnapping
    • Manslaughter
    • Murder
    • Obstruction of Justice
    • Peonage
    • Perjury
    • Prostitution
    • Rape
    • Sexual Assault
    • Sexual Exploitation
    • Slave Trade
    • Stalking
    • Torture
    • Trafficking
    • Witness Tampering
    • Unlawful Criminal Restraint
  2. You must have proof of injury, physical or psychological. This evidence can be shown with medical reports and/or psychological evaluations.

  3. You must show you were cooperating with law enforcement. A police report, or testimony in open court are typical examples of this cooperation. Also there MUST BE a signed certification from a police officer, prosecutor, judge, or another identified official – the list is very long of who may sign Immigration Form 918B.

*****After 3 years, a U Visa holder may apply for a green card. U Visa beneficiary may be allowed a waiver of his or her own violations of immigration and even criminal law.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

© 2020 - 2024 Prizant Law. All rights reserved.